Monday, April 21, 2008

My love/hate relationship with InDesign.

So I downloaded the free trial of InDesign. And after a couple hours of complete frustration and confusion and wanting to throw my computer out the window, I think I'm finally starting to get it. The only problem now is there's so many options, I'm spending way too much time obsessing over little details like "what font should the title be?" "should I move this paragraph up a little more?" "why won't this last sentence fit onto the previous page?!"
But I'm actually starting to have some fun with it. I still can't find out how to get a picture onto my cover, but I'm surprised at how professional it's starting to look. I was thinking about buying the whole program on a whim, just because there's so much you can do with it- like story boards and menus!- but then I realized I will never have to make either.
Anyway, I guess I'm just really excited about having actually been able to figure it out- and without a tutorial! I was just clicking around randomly.
My next problem is if I just print it out from my printer, and then get it bound at Kinko's, the pages are going to be one sided, and it's not really going to look as nice as I would like. But like we were saying in class, it's only a prototype, right?

1 comment:

Eric said...

I downloaded it too. Frustrating - I could sooner teach myself the bagpipes. Gonna keep playing with it though.