Like I mentioned in class last night my writer's have been pretty picky about what I'm doing as an editor. Today I received two replies from the edits I made and one writer told me that I over-edited his piece and gave me a lengthy reply as to why everything I edited was wrong in his eyes.
I don't know if maybe because all of the writers I'm dealing with are students or what, but do editors deal with this on a regular basis. I felt like what I did added to the piece not took away from him and he made me feel like my input was unwanted and unneeded.
I also feel like just because I edit something doesn't mean I don't like it. I decided to publish the work which means that I obviously like it. Oh and I got a reply from the girl with the pac-man bar story who said she understood why I took that section out that I did and agreed with me that it slows down the piece. That made me feel pretty good actually. Since it affirmed I knew what I was talking about at least.
I know that some pieces are like people's children, but come on, let them grow up. I mean maybe I did over edit, maybe I did change a bit too much, but that's why I expect to have a correspondence with each and every one of the writers I'm publishing so we can reach a nice medium where we both like where things are at in the piece.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment