Friday, February 8, 2008

Zines Zines and More Zines

Be A Zinester by Anne Elizabethe Moore seemed to go more deeply into the history of Zines then the previous article assigned. She states in the beginning the reasonings for creating zines and I agreed with her wholeheartedly. Zines are made because someone out there wants their voice to be heard and it doesn't matter who they are or where they're living.

This is definitely one of the reasons why I want to create my own zine, like I've previously stated. I want my voice to be heard and for the work that I feature to say something about myself. The reason for a zine to be published is for something that the editor or creator cares deeply about to be placed out there for the masses to grab hold of.

What interested me the most was when Ms. Moore spoke of the male-female ratio in sci-fi and comics. I guess I've always known that women were kept out of certain industries, even the publishing one, seeing as its a "man's world." What I didn't know was that a Riot Grrl magazines were printed so that women had their place in this world. They broke the mold, so to speak, and printed feminist ideas. Riot Grrl magazines went against the grain and gave women a place in the publishing world. This also allowed for more female friendly reading that wasn't just Vogue or Cosmo. I really admire the women who decided to do this. It has to be a difficult thing and one has to have such passion in order to do it. Women still face marginalization, more noticeably when it comes to salaries in the workplace. This just shows how by women banding together to start zines which allow them to choose what types of ideas and work they'd like to showcase it evens the playing field.

In a way I'm new to the whole zine thing and the history of it all is so interesting. Sci-fi fan zines, and Ray Bradbury printing his own zine. It really seems like a lot, but when I think about the desire that people have to have their work seen, or have themselves heard, it doesn't seem like such a crazy thing.

No comments: