Friday, February 29, 2008

Stranger Things Happen

So I've been reading Stranger Things Happen and I'm really enjoying it. Maybe it's because I've always been into fantasy stories but don't actually write them (and when I do write them they come out really really corny) but the real reason I think I'm loving this book so much is because every story starts out like it could be happening to me. Then some outrageous event happens or something is slightly off, but every story seems like it's true to life and that's what's keeping my attention.

So far I have to say my favorite story was the parody of the fairytale, Travels With The Snow Queen. I know the original story fairly well, but the way Kelly Link tells it is so much more enticing and really allowed me to identify with the girl traveling on a path of broken glass. I guess I might just be a sucker for fairytales, (one of my favorite movies is Stardust and my all time favorite book is Peter Pan, yeah just goes to show my taste) but something about this was unique and enticing. It wasn't told in this overall narrator omniscient sort of way, it was second person so YOU were the character. Kelly Link knew what she was doing when she wrote this story cause most of the time second person kills me, it makes me crazy and I can't stand it, but this, this was great and it moved perfectly and made me feel like I was a part of the fairytale. That's why I liked it so much. I was there with her, walking a path of broken glass.

I'm almost done. I have four stories left and other obligations have just kept me away from them which is making me kind of sad. I would love nothing more then to curl up in bed and finish this collection of short stories, which I might actually do tonight since I took a five hour nap and there's no way I'm going to bed...ever again. Kidding.

No comments: