Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Everyzine Is Wonderful, In Its Own Way

This whole zine scene is new to me.  This reading was really my first in-depth foray into this field - I've heard of zines but they were really off my radar.  Until I get to know more, I can't really make a very good (personal) judgement as to their significance.  My initial reaction is that anything new is worthwhile until it is proven not to be, and the fact that zines have been around for quite some time seems validate their importance.  The two main factors for me are the independence of a zine, and its cultural significance.  

First, I really love that the zinester has no corporate flunkies dictating what needs to be addressed in order to hit any ratings mark.  There are no advertisers or investors trying to attend meetings and influencing the heart of the works.  The captain at the helm can go in any direction, but he/she must realize that steering too far off course will result in stormy readership.  It is like - but on a much smaller scale - a moneyless form of capitalism: supply and demand.  If the zinester does not fulfill his/her obligation to what the readers want to read, the readers will go elsewhere.  I could be wrong on this.  Like I said, I don't know enough to make a full-on opinion.  But I totally love the independence.

Second, it is obvious to me that the zine is culturally significant.  My views on why will surely change as time goes on, but right now we are talking about it, right?  I agree with Anna that zines might be a precursor to the blog.  But I'm not sure that that means a final goodbye to the zine, just as internet hasn't said goodbye to the book.  There is something to having binded paper in your hands, being disconnected from anything electronic, and reading.  Readng anything.  I really enjoy turning my cell ringer off and then taking a magazine to lunch, or a book on the train.  I don't know, there's just something about it.

No comments: