Listening to Duncan from the podcast speak about what him and his partner are doing really interested me. One of the things that struck me the most was how it started out as just something to do. It's so strange how two people can realize a lack of something which people desire and just go for it. That's basically what Duncan and his partner did. I think that's the name of it, I couldn't actually hear it that well for some reason. Anyway, they discovered a need for something in the Chicago Area and just like that they went for it.
The idea that a project can be started in a blink of an eye and because something so instrumental in a community is really encouraging. Sometimes it seems that things never work out that way but hearing how well received their program is actually gives me some hope. This leads me to something else, the small press projects. I'm really excited to get started on mine and try to make it the best that I possibly can. Duncan and his friend really gave me an extra push just because of how well they seem to be doing with their arts podcast. Instead of this whole thing seeming impossible it really seems possible. I've wanted to have my own online literary magazine since last semester and now, instead of just thinking about it I'm actually go to do it and try to do it well.
When Duncan also noted how serious people started to get over what they were doing and how shocked he was I became even more interested. Some things can start out as just a fun ride, but then they turn into this serious thing that people are really paying attention to and valuing the opinions of the contributors. That has to change the entire tone of a project. I also really took to heart what he said about it being fun. If it's not fun anymore then it's not worth it. These projects that every member of the class is undertaking should be fun and should be something that we all want to continue and want them to grow into something greater, but what's the point of having these things do well if they aren't fun for us to participate in any longer? I definitely agree with what Duncan said about that and know the feeling of when something that I loved so much becomes just painful and devastating. I've had that happen in my life and moved on from it to something different.
I think most people feel that if they start something they have to see it all the way until the end whether they are enjoying it or not. That's not true. There comes a time when you've got to let go and that's hard to recognize. I'm glad that I did otherwise I wouldn't be here writing this blog, or thinking about a Lit Zine, or writing a novel. I'd be stuck in some dance studio in a black leotard and pink tights with a ballet master slapping my shoulders and telling me that my ass is too big.
I don't know if anything that I've said makes any sense or even relates to the discussion last night. I really hope that it does.
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment