Monday, May 12, 2008

I will never be a Luddite

I don't have internet right now. Haven't had it, actually, since May 1. It's been both a blessing and a curse for my project and my life.

The blessing? I've been able to whip out a bunch of prototypes of what I want the physical thing to look like much faster than if I had access to the sundries of the Internet. I even spent more consecutive and cumulative time in front of the computer, er, building the website for Invisible Arc than I would've if I had access to Myspace and Facebook and my stupid blog.

The curse? Communicating with people has been a bitch of a time. I didn't realize I relied so much on e-mail. It's just really frustrating not being able to respond to people the instant I get their e-mail. Really. How did people live without e-mail? And constantly checking the weather. And seeing if I still have enough space on my Flickr account because I'm too cheap to upgrade to a Pro account. And updating my Podcasts. And a billion other things not related to my project.

Anyway, regardless of the 'net situation, I'm still not freaking out really. I feel like I ought to, though, as if it's the sort of thing I need to do. Maybe I've been extremely lucky with this project and it's going to kick my ass so hard when I venture to do my next one (which is happening, definitely, because, c'mon, after interning/working at two lit journals and making my own zine, I think I have the gumption to make more than one). Though, I know that at like two in the morning, I'll wake up, freak out at the stitching in my binding is all muffed up and probably end up rebinding a whole new book because last-minute panics are the best, I guess.

AND. I can't find my phone so I can't even call my lousy artist or writers to make any last minute demands. I have the faintest inkling that it fell out of my pocket or something whilst biking. Technology and I, we don't get along much.

No comments: